Chasing the Tazmanian Devil

cropped-Sent-to-Esther-3.jpgParenting is a time-consuming, energy-draining proposition.  Babies expect to be fed and those diapers need to be changed every day.  I knew this when I signed on, or thought I did.  Taking care of a baby is easy in theory.   Reality on the other hand…

During Esther’s pregnancy,  we debated baby names, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz had nothing on us, designed a nursery, she planned the layout while I moved furniture back and forth and back again and again and again, and stocked our home with every conceivable baby item.

I wanted to record Cristian’s birth, so we could show him the video every year on his birthday.  The doctor was onboard—the Go Pro Camera was strapped around his head and ready to go.  My better half objected, something about therapy being expensive.

Tummy Time - He hated Tummy Time.
Tummy Time – He hated Tummy Time.

Like most expectant parents, we thought had it all under control when in reality we had no clue.

As new parents we anxiously awaited each developmental milestone, lifting his head, tummy time, and crawling. We survived, sleepless nights, diaper blowouts and teething (wait that’s still going on).

Walking, or more accurately, chasing our walking baby is the challenge du jour.  We were so excited when Cristian took his first steps.  A baby’s first steps look a lot like college students on a St. Patrick’s Day Pub Crawl.  Before long they figure it out, and then it’s like chasing the Tazmanian Devil on Red Bull.

slide

Chasing a curious toddler down hallways and keeping him away from open doors and staircases requires teamwork (see my last post).  Think you’re keeping him out of the kitchen by putting a few chairs or a toy box in his way?  Guess again.

Cristian’s an amazing troubleshooter, climbing over and crawling under most obstacles.  He’s going to kill the Tough Mudder course in about 20 years, maybe 10, but that’s not helping me right now.

Hanging out with my brother last weekend didn’t help.  Ever the big brother, he let me in on a secret—we haven’t scratched the surface yet.  Thanks Bob, I knew I could count on you.  Oh well at the very least, I’m sure it will generate a post or two and give me some cross training once race season starts.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedin

10 thoughts on “Chasing the Tazmanian Devil

• March 12, 2016 at 11:36 am

Ive read a few of your stories and I love the dad take on it. Really funny, I wouldn’t have been for the filming labour either lol

• March 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thank you Heidi. I looked at a few parenting books during my wife’s pregnancy but they were written for moms by moms so I decided to fill the void. This post my be my favorite. http://wp.me/p7dww9-2j

• March 17, 2016 at 11:36 pm

I love your posts! I had two kids and would hear stories about how hard it was to keep up with them, but I could not relate. Those kids were and still are very mellow. But then I had another one! I still don’t understand how you can get a piece of a crayon that far in your ear. I never needed any of that child safety stuff. But then came Shylei. She has rocked our world just like your little one. Its alot of fun! Enjoy!

• March 18, 2016 at 6:51 am

Wow you were lucky with your first two. Ours is active and very much a boy. He’s a lot of fun although some days it doesn’t seem like it.

• March 21, 2016 at 3:30 pm

This was great! I don’t have children, but always wanted them. I cannot imagine at this age have the energy to do it! I am sure it will keep you young! You won’t have a choice! 😉

• March 21, 2016 at 3:35 pm

The baby is great although some days are more challenging than others. I’ve always been younger than the sum of my years, I hope it’s more than young at heart. Time will tell.

• March 21, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Yeah I am in that stage too where I have to chase my baby everywhere. I have 3 and I live in fear that they will kill each other or me with their shenanigans lol.

• March 21, 2016 at 4:10 pm

You have three? Wow how do you survive? My son keeps me pretty busy and there is only one of him.

• March 21, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I survive with prayer and chocolate…well not chocolate everyday. lol