The Night Owl

IMG_3432 (2)A few posts back I wrote about the winter of 2016 wreaking havoc on my family.  It’s been a rough one for the baby.  Last year he was pretty healthy, but this year he’s endured a severe diaper rash, lingering cold, a virus, and an ear infection.

A few doctor’s appointments and rounds of antibiotics later we’re all mostly recovered—mostly recovered.  One thing remains unsettled, Cristian’s sleep pattern.  Sleepless nights are something Dad Bloggers write about—along with drippy diapers and do Dads parent their children or babysit them.

I went back and checked, fifteen of my posts mentioned sleep deprivation or Cristian’s sleep patterns in one way or another—maybe I should chime in on the parenting vs babysitting debate.

Establishing a toddler’s sleep pattern isn’t an exact science, it requires lots of trial and error.  We started putting him to bed at 10 pm with a bottle and Sesame Street or Pepa Pig running on a tablet.  We were making progress until he got sick.

I miss nights like this one
I miss nights like this one

Lately he’s been knocking out between eight and nine, which sounds like a good thing—but really isn’t—it only upset the balance.  Cristian used to wake up once a night, upon receiving his bottle, he rolled over and went back to sleep—not anymore.

I’m now staggering down the hall two or three times a night, like a sleepwalker carrying a dog named Lulu (let’s see who gets that reference).  After taking the first bottle, he’s up an hour or two later.  When a second bottle or walking him around doesn’t work, it’s time for my fellow tag-team parent.

Mommy working her magic was once the gold-standard in soothing our cranky baby.   It irritated me a little, but if it got him back to sleep so be it.  Lately Mommy’s magic stopped working, so we’ve resorted to desperate measures.

For the past week we’ve tried exhausting our wired son binge-watching every baby program imaginable, with mixed results.  Some nights we only needed 45 minutes. However other nights we’ve taken turns napping while Cristian turned laps around the living room.

It’s amazing how children change things—once upon a time a sleepless night meant Esther and I went to work slightly exhausted but smiling.  Now it’s just exhausted.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedin

10 thoughts on “The Night Owl

• February 20, 2016 at 7:35 am

Staying up all night is definitely not fun. I used to have to as my son wouldn’t go to bed until 2am…but I was alone in it. Hubby worked so he’d sleep all night. Hopefully it gets better for you 🙂

• February 20, 2016 at 7:51 am

Jenny, as someone who’s been there, sleepless nights aren’t fun. I’m lucky, my wife and I both work as tag-team parents. The funny thing is, the night after this post went live, Cristian slept pretty well, last night he slept through the night. Maybe all he wanted was some acknowledgement.

• February 22, 2016 at 9:22 am

Phew, I feel for you. When kids don’t sleep it’s so hard. I hope you are able to get it figured out soon.

• February 22, 2016 at 9:29 am

Thanks Jennifer. It’s something every parent experiences, kind of a parental right of passage. He slept for a few night after this post went live, now it’s back to hit and miss.

• February 22, 2016 at 10:00 am

I remember those days. It gets better once they are like 3 or 5. Less screen time and lots of running around knocks them right out by 8, once they get older. Hang in there 🙂

• February 22, 2016 at 10:07 am

Thanks Jasmine! He runs around a lot and he’s pretty fast too. My wife and I are both Marathon runners, we finished 24 between both of us, so I’m thinking running and boundless energy is in his DNA.

• February 22, 2016 at 11:01 am

I am having a sleep deprived day today also. My baby is only 8 Months old but we have had two other boys that went through the no sleep phase too. Good luck to you!

• February 22, 2016 at 11:23 am

I guess we go through it at one time or another, I’m used to waking up once a night. However since he’s been sick we’ve been waking up several times a night and calming him requires more work. It’s all part of being a parent. I’m sure in a year or two it will be something else, and I’ll probably be blogging about it.

• February 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I am sorry, my son went through this. So many things mess up how a child sleeps teething, brain growth, cognitive development, the list goes on. I hope he gets back on a schedule.

• February 23, 2016 at 8:27 am

Thanks Iman! He’s had a run of virus, cold. ear infection, in addition to the developmental milestones. We aren’t the first parents who dealt with this, but it’s never fun seeing my son uncomfortable.